Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource]

5 posters

Go down

Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource] Empty Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource]

Post by MehgoMeh Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:06 am

Are some people amazing enough or know of amazing tuts to post?

I'm really bad with my tablet and I want to learn how to do good line art, coloring and textures.

I figured, maybe we could just make this a thread dump of tutorials and whatnot.
If anyone has there own tuts they made themselves, post them hereeeeee....

For reals though. I want helps. Wis everytings. D:
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

http://mehgomeh.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource] Empty Re: Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource]

Post by ./Sythensia Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:52 am

I dont know many tutorials but i do know that tablets are kind of hard to get used to. What program are you looking for tuts on?

Also what kind of tablet work are you aiming for?

also what style of line art are you trying to do?

Painting digital and painting RL is very similar in concept but a bit more technical know how is required.
./Sythensia
./Sythensia
Granular Substance
Granular Substance

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:30 am

I suppose everything, i feel lame.

I feel like my lineart is talking too long and isn't at par at all with my normal drawing abilities.

I don't really know how to paint all that well either. I feel like its the brushes I'm using, I haven't really downloaded any new ones (I have CS4).

I suppose I can learn textures after I get those two down to a routine.
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by ./Sythensia Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:08 am

Sad truth i've come to learn is that while tablet is super nice to have for super clean lines your going to have to use something like the pen tool and clean up your messy tablet lines.

Painting with default brushes is not so hard to do but it is kinda hard to learn. I kinda just experiment all the time never really used a guide or tutorial.

Try messing with opacities and the brush settings, if worse goes to worse try different programs i hear coreal painter has some nice realistic brush effects.

you can get it easily with *cough* Legitimate *cough* means (loltorrents) or actual legit means of a trial of different programs. I like to mix and match open canvas with photoshop to get the effects i want.

If a tutorial is what you want i found these by googling real quickly.

http://www.smashingapps.com/2009/01/08/17-mind-blowing-digital-painting-tutorials-of-beautiful-girls.html

they all seem like good final results and lots of styles, sample skills from them and just learn the program of your trade.
./Sythensia
./Sythensia
Granular Substance
Granular Substance

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:02 am

I'm no expert, but this is what I think.

Honestly, line art takes a lot of time and effort to look nicely even with a tablet. Since it's so precise, and the surface is slick, it's just an entirely different playing field. You draw really well on paper, I've seen you. But it's hard to keep the same line quality with a tablet as easily on paper.

I usually work at ridiculously large resolutions. 5000 pixels in any direction or more and up to 800dpi. I zoom in like crazy and do my line art by hand. But I smooth out the lines carefully through with the Smudge tool. But using the Pen Tool may be easiest to start off first. The only problem with the Pen Tool is that the lines are predictable. I can tell when someone is using it.

The Pen Tool also produces lines that are... Robotic. Not that they're stiff, it's just like I said before, predictable. You may get what I mean when you try your hand at it. As for tutorials, I can easily say I learned more by myself experimenting than through reading tutorials. But tutorials do help in a way that it sheds light on what other people are doing. But you cannot get better simply by following tutorials. It takes practice without the clutch of a tutorial.

Hm key factors in using the tablet is... I noticed on the PC, that often times the tablet, you may think it works but it's not picking up "Pen Pressure" even if you enable it. It may require simply closing PhotoShop and opening it again, or reinstalling drivers and restarting your computer. I usually sample one thick line with a brush and if it doesn't taper off the ends like it recognizes Pen Pressure, then I know I have to restart the program or my computer. Macs seem to have this problem less often for me.

For digitally painting, varying your Opacity is crucial crucial as well as the Flow percentage. Lower it to what you feel comfortable with. I change these settings often depending on the intensity I want of the color. Painting digitally is very similar to traditional painting in this respect: Skin isn't just peach. It has green, purple, orange, fuck, all them colors in there. Too many times I find people just using the tans and browns for skin and it ends up looking more dead than vibrant. Another key factor in this is, don't confuse and drown yourself in too many Layers in PhotoShop. If you haven't learned how to use and group Layers into folders, I suggest you figure it out soon. It's pretty easy. With skin coloring in particular, I try to keep this to one layer. I find that the colors blend better if you can keep track of everything on just one layer. I lay down the base color before I set others on top of it. I don't really care if I mess up on that one layer, anything is fixable. You're just applying color and with painting, I try to think of it as sculpting color too.

Some of the best tutorials I think, are on dA. Even though I can hate that place sometimes.
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

http://novureyouth.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I actually found that pretty helpful.
I think for starters I'll get my lines down to where I want them.
I've also only been working in 300 res. omg....

And dA can be such a furrie shit hole. guh. lol.
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Hm, well okay, here are some of my favorite tutorials I dug up out of my Favorites on dA.

Basic color theory stuff:

Color Theory + App. Tutorial by ~gorachi

One of THE BEST line art tutorials regarding the Pen Tool:

Amanda's Line Art Tutorial by *begger4mcgregor

Massive digital painting tutorial:

Digital Painting Tutorial by `Dianae

Amazing hair tutorial:
Tutorial: Painting Hair in PS by =Foxbane

Hope these'll help. Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource] 23978
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Oh my gawd, these are some of the best I've read so far.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silk Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 pm

I often venture Conceptart.org, and they have some neat tutorials, mostly on digital painting.

Here's one on skin tone.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169521
Silk
Silk
Space Dust
Space Dust

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 am

Oh wow, that skin one is super good.
It's weird.
I get these concepts when I work with traditional media, but damn, it's so hard for me to do it digitally.
x.x I'll figure it out...one day :P

MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silk Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:22 am

No problem. Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource] 538946

I still don't quite get digital either, but then again, I haven't been trying to make any digital art. Mainly focusing on basic drawing skills at the moment, like anatomy, proportion, composition, etc.
Silk
Silk
Space Dust
Space Dust

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:05 am

I hate using the Eyedropper Tool to pick up skin colors. I highly DO NOT recommend using it. If you plan on picking up colors from realistic photos, the colors will come out dull and bland with a lot of gray tones. Try it and see for yourself. I bet you money it's gonna look flat and be more of a waste of time than if you just came up with your own palette.
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 am

no waiiiii~

okay then D: I'll post stuff maybe later this week for crits.
Just know, it'll be nothing i'm proud of!
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by ync Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 am

i refer to loish like crazy her FAQ has helped me with a)what textures she uses to get the look she aims for b)the type of brush she uses and to a degree, how

lineart is a tricky mistress, you have the variety of options, the bitchy pen tool, the regular brush (but WHICH?) or depending on what program you're using, their form of the pen tool - celesse shows a easy way of using the pen tool in painter

a GREAT form of tutorial is to watch the new big thing that's rushing over DA, livestream - watching artists draw live, it's a great oppertunity, you have the drawing screen on one side and a chat window on the other side where you can....well chat, OR you can ask the artist questions which he/she can answer because they have their own audio options and can talk while they're drawing - so they can verbally talk to their viewers without stopping the drawing, going over to the chat box, having it get lost in the flurry of the viewers crazy posts, and then going back to the drawing and leaving the viewer asking the question lost in a daze and waiting for their question to be answered. I've learned how to use the pen tool in photoshop thanks to pyawakit's almost bi-weekly livestreams. it really is a fun experience watching your favorite artists draw, and extremely helpful :) the other great thing about livestream is that once the artists finishes, but say you've missed it, they save on their livestream page and you can watch them over again
ync
ync
Space Dust
Space Dust

http://ync.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:18 am

I watched a livestream once from Ravenscar/star, can't remember what she goes by again, lol.
Everything took so long though, I can't pay attention for long in a livestream >_<
Though, i was watching an underpainting being started and I was surprised to see see I'm kinda doing it right.

I have another question:
Which programs do you guys like better? I feel there's the Painter crowd and the PS crowd.
Which program do you guys like best?
I know, I'm asking alot, but I'm so, for serious, a noob at this.
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by ync Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:30 am

i used to be all about painter, but recently i've been photoshop only - there's a brush in there that i really like the look of

i should really use painter again lulz...and opencanvas...and try sai again
ync
ync
Space Dust
Space Dust

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:35 am

MehgoMeh wrote:I watched a livestream once from Ravenscar/star, can't remember what she goes by again, lol.
Everything took so long though, I can't pay attention for long in a livestream >_<
Though, i was watching an underpainting being started and I was surprised to see see I'm kinda doing it right.

I have another question:
Which programs do you guys like better? I feel there's the Painter crowd and the PS crowd.
Which program do you guys like best?
I know, I'm asking alot, but I'm so, for serious, a noob at this.

You know what? I like this discussion. It's a good thing to pass knowledge about and a nice discussion I have not had since forever. I used to listen to what other people use as their program(s) of choice based on the work they generated from them. In the end though, there is nothing I haven't seen in Painter or openCanvas, that you cannot do in PhotoShop. Basically, PhotoShop is top of the line for me. For someone else, they may like something more user-friendly. But since I know more about PS personally, it'd be a waste to let all that knowledge go down the dumpster for a friendlier, simpler program like openCanvas in my eyes.

I tried using Painter multiple times, but just couldn't devote myself to like it very much. It has a lot of different brushes that can apply more varied textures and what not, but PhotoShop also has the ability to import brushes. But you can get far well along with just using default brushes.

Choosing the right program based on our career reverence is also important I feel. Right now at Kendall, all I hear about is PhotoShop. I haven't once heard openCanvas or Painter come out of anyone's mouth yet. Then again, I'm just a freshman. I get the sense that PhotoShop is the industry standard, it's everywhere. While programs like Painter and openCanvas are more off to the side.

While I think you can have an edge if you learn multiple programs, it could also in turn hurt you by possibly being a waste of time and effort. Say your future employer doesn't incorporate that program, then where does that knowledge go? Of course if you work on your own personal computer and use the program to further enhance the work somehow, I can see how it would be useful.

But like I said before, there is nothing openCanvas and Painter really can do that would drastically win over PhotoShop. Once you learn PS, it should be cake to try the rest, while it might not be that way vice versa. PS is like the one-stop program with a lot of resources for it including brushes and tutorials. PhotoShop has the complexity, that openCanvas certainly doesn't have. I would say that Corel Painter, is also a few steps ahead of openCanvas in that regard. It's like PhotoShop is the frog, Painter is the tadpole, and openCanvas is just the egg.
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ync Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Photoshop is the head honcho and reins over all, it's just the ultimate program. I used to dig painter because it had a smooth pen tool that wasn't weird like photoshops, it was a nice smooth brush but then after a while i found the brush in photoshop that i really really loved, and it is a default brush so i just stopped using corel painter. OpenCanvas is nice every now and then for that thicker paint feel, it's fun to use every now and then, it's so simple it's kind of just like...it's just a breeze to be used it's not frustrating it's just...easy. Sai however i've only used i think twice and haven't really gotten into it so i can't really say how it is for me.

I've yet to hear OpenCanvas ever mentioned in school and a classmate of mine asked me about sai - but the digital elective i have next semester deals with photoshop and painter.
ync
ync
Space Dust
Space Dust

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 pm

What brush is it? As I have a favorite too. I think my favorite brush was introduced in later PhotoShop versions. I don't remember it in CS2 and earlier. But maybe you have to plug in a tablet to see them? I dunno. CS3 and CS4 I believe both have it.

Hey, QQ [Tutorial Resource] Rgdfgdfg

The ones bound in the blue box are the ultra-hard and sharp brushes (as seen in many previous versions of PhotoShop; if not all). When you hover over them they say "Hard Round" followed by the pixel diameter.

While the ones marked in the green box are, "Airbrush Hard Round" and "Airbrush Pen Opacity Flow". They are smoother, kind of like watercolor and don't come off pixellated as the hard brushes nor as fuzzy as the airbrushes. Pretty awesome.
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MehgoMeh Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 am

Hmm, okay then.
I'll stick with photoshop then just because I might as well.
I'm most familiar with it anyway.

I've noticed I've been using that airbrush-like tool to most lately for sketching purposes. It feels like I'm using a pencil to an extent.
I've gotten okay with it, I was attempting to use loish's guide on brushes she uses etc. I did okay, but I wasn't totally happy either.

Messing around with with flow has made things easier too.

I've realized I also really dislike the pen tool. I just going to practice my lines with the steadiest hand >_<

I'm glad you guys are posting here too. It's super appreciated. I've learned just a butt-ton already just by reading and applying a little bit everyday.

Like i said, once I'm happy with something, I'll do a post. But, I don't feel like showing anything yet >_>
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by ync Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 am

Nifster wrote:What brush is it?

The Airbrush Pen Opacity Flow - and i run photoshop 7 so yeah, it's a pretty old brush :P
it's just ...i love the look and feel of it
ync
ync
Space Dust
Space Dust

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 am

ync wrote:
Nifster wrote:What brush is it?

The Airbrush Pen Opacity Flow - and i run photoshop 7 so yeah, it's a pretty old brush :P
it's just ...i love the look and feel of it

Oh shet for real? I guess I didn't notice much of a difference between that and the regular hard brush because PS7 era... Was mouse-only era for me. xD
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum