Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Act of the Decade

3 posters

Go down

Best Act of the Decade Empty Best Act of the Decade

Post by Abstractionist Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:59 am

This was a necessity for a Music section, especially as we near 2010. Simply write up about your favorite LP/EP/mixtape/etc. of the decade, extending from Jan. 1, 2000 through December 31, 2009, and tell us why they are your favorite. Was Justin Timberlake the highlight of your decade, Lady Gaga, MGMT, whatever. And then, tell us what music you're most looking forward to in 2010. I will give my favorite soon. For reals.
Abstractionist
Abstractionist
Admin
Admin

https://chitincircuit.wixsite.com/website

Back to top Go down

Best Act of the Decade Empty Re: Best Act of the Decade

Post by MehgoMeh Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 am

Wow.
Umb.
This is so tough. I've gone through alot of phases.

I think for the first part of the decade, I was devoted to Dropkick Murphys. To best honest, I still am, but I just don't really love punk all that much anymore.
But, I mean, this band alone made me try new things and appreciate even classical Celtic music. Shit, I mean, I even took bagpipe lessons for half a year.
Now, they have a special place in my heart. Seriously forever.
They were my first show I actually went to because I really wanted to. And I got to dance on stage and give the Bassist, Ken Casey, a hug and my Ireland scarf. It was kinda the best day of my life, haha.
Now, I don't find myself listening to their music as much, but they're the last band I even bought a CD for. And that says alot, lol. I haven't bought a CD for a band in years. But, whenever they do come out with a new album, I'll be one of the first to buy it.

Now, I'm kinda gotten into more metal stuff, the good Norwegian kind.
But, my crossover was when I was listening to the Celtic black metal band, Eluveitie. They have a bagpipe, and it's awesome. So, even now, I can't get away from Celtic music and that love came from listening to DKM.

Aw man. Sadly, this is like, super personal to me xD

For the future, I'm not really sure. I do anticipate the next studio album and I dunno, we'll see what 2010 has in store :D
MehgoMeh
MehgoMeh
Rock
Rock

http://mehgomeh.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifster Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:30 am

I'll say it before and I'll say it again with some new additions. The Hybrid duo is one of the first great acts I have ever encountered. Having discovered them in my earlier years through this journey of "music" has developed my taste greatly and influenced what it is I like most and look for in music.

I thought they were amazing then and I still think they are amazing now. Even their songs from ten years ago have withstood the test of time. They have not aged one bit. They have become classics not only to me, but many other people. Hybrid creates sound that is truly like nobody else. They fused the electronic with the classical.

The orchestral sound combined seamlessly into their music is what probably pushes their art to a limit that became groundbreaking. While electronic instruments and classical string instruments are at complete ends of each other in the spectrum, there is a certain oneness that Hybrid is able to meld in their songs. It feels... complete.

I find their work to be highly original also. It was if their sound was something sent from a place untouched and undiscovered until they came along. Their debut 1999 album, Wide Angle (re-released to be Wider Angle) is one of the best things that ever happened in the music industry, period. I mean, I don't know if you care if these words came from The Times, but Wide Angle was described as being "one of the most moving pieces of electronic music ever" and I whole heartedly agree. They moved me. You know something is really damn good when you're hard to impress and you got goosebumps from listening to their music.

The first song I ever heard from Hybrid was "Finished Symphony". Arguably the best piece by Hybrid. I was in awe. Stunned in fact. But the Hybrid duo weren't the only musicians I discovered at the beginning of this decade. BT was another incredible artist, considered to be a pioneer in many respects. "Godspeed" (from his 1999 album, Movement in Still Life) was one of the first tracks I heard from him. I place it fondly up there with Hybrid's "Finished Symphony". These were the tracks that defined the beginnings of my musical journey and they are the tracks I don't easily forget. Hell, 1999 was a good year for music and movies (The Matrix <3).

My electronic music love soon spread to other genres like Trance at the time with BT and more psychedelic genres with Infected Mushroom. Then more recently it became Drum & Bass/DnB/D&B, whatever you wanna call it. I'm interested in where my favorite Drum & Bass artists will do to the genre in these coming years. Black Sun Empire, Evol Intent, State Of Mind, are a few of my favorites.

I still look forward to releases from Hybrid and BT, which are due any time now within the next year or two I'm sure. But new discoveries are always fun. I do look forward a bit to MGMT but I can't help but worry their next won't be as good as their debut. This seems to happen often though. I've also grown increasingly more in love with Crystal Castles, quite a new act. Chiptune is also a genre I've grown fond of thanks to artists like Ram Rider (really only his Portable Disco (8 Bit Edition) I am fond of) and Sabrepulse.

Basically, I'm an electronic lover. Best Act of the Decade 124780
Nifster
Nifster
Admin
Admin

http://novureyouth.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: